Thursday 26 March 2009

【Feature】Transportation of Fresh International Students

By Anli Hung
Basically, Sheffield is not quite big and if you live in dorm, where often locates around the city centre. It is rarely for students to take mass transportation in the city.

As I mentioned the Castle Market before, it locates in the north of the city and I live in the south of it. It will spend about 40 minutes on foots between these two places. However, I always go to Castle Market once a week so the bags must be heavy. I want to recommend a best friend “Freebee”, which is free bus and was drove around the city centre in every 7 minutes. It also stops in rail station and coach station. Except Freebee, I always walk.


Castle Market is not far any more because of FreeBee.

Paul also walk a lot but sometime he takes bus if it is in hurry. “The bus ticket is also expensive so if it not necessary, I usually walk.” he said.

Rizal live in suburb and he will stay in Sheffield for three years so he bough a car. In the UK , if you drive, you must have not only driving license but also paying insurance. “The price of the insurance depends on your car size.” Rizal said. “I need car because I am delivering pizza.” I am surprised about delivering pizza by “car” because in Taiwan , delivering man always works by motorcycle. Then, I notice that there is no motorcycle in the UK . Rizal said: “That’s impossible for me to deliver pizza by motorcycle in such freezing day!”

Travelling in the UK , train is the best choice. Students could apply to the young person card, which can get 30% discount. Train ticket could be booked online and it had better book it as early as possible. The earlier you book, the cheaper you get.

Comparing price is important in travelling. If it is too late to get the cheap train ticket, coach could also substitute for it. National Express, which I took often, provides “Fun Fare” from Sheffield to London , Leeds and Newcastle . From Sheffield to London , it cost just 5 pounds.

Megabus, which is a coach, is also useful. The station in Sheffield locates in Meadowhall. Last time I took it from Oxford to London and it cost just one pound.


Watch Paul shares his experience now!

No comments:

Post a Comment