Thursday 26 March 2009

【Recipe Review】Steamed Buns

By Anli Hung
Steamed buns are a kind of traditional Chinese breads and sometime we eat it as breakfast. However, it is not easy to find steamed buns in the UK, maybe in Chinese market but it is very pricey. One of my friends came over my place and we both missed steamed buns very much. So, we decided to make it by ourselves. We were so excited to make our first steamed buns.

Ingredients
300g of plain flour
4g of yeast
3g of baking powder
30g of granulated sugar
150g of milkStep

Step
1. Pour 10g of milk in the yeast and baking powder (do not use it until the yeast dissolved in the milk). Pour 140g of milk in the flour and the sugar, then pour the yeast and powder milk.
2. And start to knead it into mixture flour. Remember not to stop until it is with bounce.
3. Roll the pastry into a rectangle.
4. Spread some raisin and medlar on it (could also put some grain you like).
5. Roll it up.
6. Cut it into the size you like, and wait for about 30 mins until it is leavened.
7. Steam them in a pan.

It’s done and successful! They look and taste delicious. They all cost just about 30 pens. I like to make things like this with friends and family. It makes us spend good time together and also saves our money. You could also try it!

There is one that I would like to mention. I do not have the measuring cup here to measure the ingredients so I use my measuring spoon.
1 spoon = 15g
1 tea spoon = 5g
It meant that when I measured 300g of plain flour, I used spoon to measure it 20 times. Sometimes we need to brainstorming when we face difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment