Saturday 14 March 2009

LOVE...


By Debjani Basu


Time and again, discussed, mutilated, bashed, loved, hated, written about, spoken about, spoken to (in my case) but I still don't get it. One of the most fascinating things about love is how one goes out of their way to make romantic love, work, but never even considers to do something extra ordinary for the love they're born into. Parents, friends, and such?


Demand and supply, boss.

Where does love really lie? In intense love letters? In passionate love songs? In cheesy pickup lines? (My apartments mates forte`) Everyone I know has an opinion on love. There's one who can't wait to fall for it, in it, there's one who can't wait to disconnect when it comes up. There's Carrie Bradshaw buying herself Diane Von Furstenberg by writing about it. Okay, so she's fictitious but Michael Patrick King isn't.


I'll tell you why people always have an opinion about it. Because the word in itself can spark off emotion. There are the people who want to stab you and spray pepper in a can into your eyes, if you mention the L word, and there are the people who want to sit down with popcorn and have a discussion about it.

I have had the sheer fortune of coming across pages on the internet, which have pieces and parts of a certain book called 'Love Letters of Great Men and Women'.
It seems like this place has collectively gone into 'cynic mode' since no one has this book, in store. Seems almost like a conspiracy.


Coming back...

The book has three letters written by Beethoven to his 'Immortal Beloved'.
I have read it more than a hundred times, and each time it says something new about the depth of his passion. Love is longing, love is passion, and love is a lot of things I might never get to understand; in this lifetime. Something like riders. The sheer depth can intimidate you into an oblivious corner of your mind where, you just rather not know.

I have a lot of friends who will check this blog and who don't believe in the emotion. Let alone share my thoughts on how the eventuality of the experience can overwhelm you into someplace new.


But again, there are a lot of people who read this blog who share my infinite passion for a lot of 'unusual things'. Be it Love, or something else.
I remember reading all three letters and re-reading them.
And, re-reading them.

I post this for me. Love fascinates me. Seeing people in love makes me happy.
And yes, reading a man's letter, which’s so completely immersed in the sentiment; just makes me want to, as well.

Video By Mohammad

No comments:

Post a Comment