Tuesday 31 March 2009

【Feature】Travelling of Fresh International Students

By Anli Hung

Seizing the chance in the UK , apart from studying, travelling is one of the motive force for me to sustain. However, in less money to live a plentiful life style is always my main belief.

In the last few weeks, I travelled to Scotland ( Newcastle , Edinburgh and Glasgow ) for five days and spent only 140 pounds,eating, housing, transportation, shopping and visiting all inclusive.




As for transportation, please link to Transportation, that I have mentioned.

One should do some homework before departing, such as reading travel book. My own experience is; I usually highlight some scenic spots and plan in an efficient way. Google Map is a useful tool for planning the line, which can help save time. Travel information office, where I could get free local map or relative information, is always the first place I visite.

In housing aspect, B&B, which means beds and breakfast, is suitable for students or lone-travelers. There is no B&B in Taiwan but it has been very popular in Europe . At average, it cost about 15 pounds and it would be a shared room and bathroom with others. It depends on the price. The much more price you pay, the much more private space you will have. It is a good opportunity to communicate with other countries’ people and share the culture or travelling experience.

As for eating, my trip plan often to depart early in the morning. I would depart after having full breakfast, make lunch by myself and tak it on my way.

B&B provide breakfast so I would try my best to eat full to burst. Some B&B even offer breakfast all day so I would also not miss the chance.

In this summer, I travelled a lot and ate in Subway several times because they have specific discount subway each day, which just cost about 3 pounds and it could deal with two meals.

I rarely eat fast food but when in need, I might choose McDonald’s. Compare to McDonald’s in Taiwan , it is probably more expensive. But not many international students know that if you order a meal and show your student card, they will give you an extra hamburger.

I have always found a half price roasted chicken (£1.5) in supermarket just because it was broken but not lack a leg or a wing.

Most of people think that travel must cost a lot, especially visiting museum or art gallery. Newcastle is famous for bridges, which is free. I took metro to suburb, where it was not only beautiful but the souvenirs were cheaper than city centre.

Edinburgh is famous for castles, which played a main part in my cost list but it was worthy.



Glasgow is an art city so many museums and art galleries locate there. However, most of museums are free for visitors. I especially recommend Kelvingrove Art Gallery , which display animal’s specimens.

No comments:

Post a Comment